Welcome to the Weeks Bay Foundation

Junior Fauna, 1st Place, Bess Diard, WoodpeckerWe are a Nationally Accredited Land Trust striving to protect the “edges” of Alabama. This means the wetlands where our coastline meets the waters of the Mobile and Weeks Bays. These bogs, marshes, and estuaries are integral to our environmental health as a state, a nation, and a planet. We do this through a partnership with the Weeks Bay Reserve and through land acquisition.

The Weeks Bay Foundation was incorporated in 1990 as a non-profit organization to support the Weeks Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve in its efforts to conserve the pristine coastal area of Baldwin County , Alabama . The Foundation, with over 550 members, supports the Reserve through donations of land and educational exhibits, public awareness and education programs, water quality monitoring efforts, and volunteer programs.

In addition to partnering with the Reserve, the Weeks Bay Foundation has protected over 7,000 acres of coastline within Baldwin County. This is done through a combination of conservation easements, land donations, and purchases. All the land we protect will never be sold to developers and will remain wild forever.

Find out WHY these places are so important

CALL TO ACTION! The Weeks Bay Reserve Needs YOUR Help!

The FY 2018 federal Budget Blueprint was just released and calls for $250 million in cuts to NOAA (The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration). The National Estuarine Research Reserve System (NERRS) would be completely zeroed out. 

That means your local Weeks Bay Reserve would lose %100 of its federal funding, or 70% of its overall budget. The Reserve currently receives the other 30% from AL State funds.

  • Every year, programs offered at the Weeks Bay Reserve and the 28 other reserves attract more than a half a million students, educators, and visitors. Approximately 8,000 people visited our Weeks Bay Reserve in 2016. 
  • Decision makers from more than 2,500 cities and towns and 570 businesses benefit by reserve-based science and technical expertise nationwide each year.  At Weeks Bay Reserve, we reached 279 coastal decision makers, accumulating 1,732 training hours, last year to offer science-based information on a variety of issues essential to coastal communities.
  • Reserves educate approximately 85,000 students and 3,200 teachers nationwide each year. In Alabama we have reached over 10,000 K-12 students over the last 10 years. 

If these programs are important to you, you can help! 

1. Call or email your representatives

Senator Shelby: Morgan Carter – Morgan_Carter@shelby.senate.gov
Senator Shelby: Kolo Rathburn – Kolo_Rathburn@appro.senate.gov
Washington Office: (202)224-5744

Representative Bradley Byrne: Alex Schriver – Alex.Schriver@mail.house.gov
Representative Bradley Byrne: Miriam Fry – Miriam.Fry@mail.house.gov
Summerdale Office: 251-989-2664
Washington DC Office: (202) 225-4931

Senator Luther Strange: Melissa Chambers – Melissa_Chambers@strange.senate.gov
Washington Office: (202) 224-4124

Not sure what to say? We have 4 different form letters you can use, or use parts of all of them to create your own!

2. Sign onto the NERRA petition here

3. Invest in the Weeks Bay Foundation. We are the friends group to the Weeks Bay Reserve. Your contribution helps us to be better advocates for our Reserve.

2017 Bald Eagle Bash

The 8th Annual Party for Preservation

2017-beb-button